1.5c Mozzarella, Shredded
2T Cream Cheese
1 Egg, Beaten
3/4c Almond Flour
2T Splenda (or adjust to your favorite sweetener)
4T Butter, Melted
8oz Cream Cheese, Softened
1/4c Splenda (or adjust to your favorite sweetener)
1 Egg Yolk
2T Butter, Softened
1/4c Almond Flour
Optional: 1/2 c Pecan Pieces or Almond Slivers
1t Heavy Cream
1. Make DOUGH — Put the mozzarella and cream cheese in a bowl. Microwave it for one minute, give it a stir to combine, then give it 30 seconds more in the microwave. Throw in your beaten egg and almond flour, stirring to combine. There you have it – your dough is prepped.
2. Roll out dough between two pieces of parchment paper. You’ll want a nice big oval.
3. Combine all FILLING #1 ingredients in bowl and paint on to dough.
4. Combine all FILLING #2 ingredients in bowl and place down center of dough as shown.
5. Using a knife, slice 1″ strips down the sides of the dough from about 1/2″ from the cream cheese filling.
6. Fold in the ends of the dough and alternating sides, strip by strip, fold in the sides to give it a braided look.
7. Place the parchment sheet with your danish on to a baking pan and bake at 400 for 15-17 minutes. When browned it’s done.
8. While the danish is cooling… Make the CRUMBLE TOPPING by combining all ingredients in a bowl and mixing with a fork. Also make the ICING by stirring together all ingredient – if not not runny like melted ice cream, add a tiny amount of heavy cream until it is. Once cooled, sprinkle on the crumble topping by rubbing it between your fingers. Finally, drizzle the icing across the top. (I did not use nuts, but they add to the presentation nicely if you have them.) Enjoy!
Wouldn’t this be delicious on Christmas morning?!